Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Week In

Yesterday was exactly one week on my new lifestyle. I have to make it that. If I don't I'll view this as another diet and fall off the wagon. So far so good. There have been ups and downs, days where I'm not hungry at all and days where I'm famished. There have been a couple of times where I have been out driving to go get the kids from school or wherever and it takes this extraordinary amount of willpower to not swing through the drive through and order whatever I want without thinking about it. I'm not even hungry when I have these urges. I just want to do it compulsively. Nuts huh?

Overall in this week I've lost 8.8 lbs. My husband even noticed and said something. Yeah! Thanks honey. :) The important thing though is I am starting to feel better, have more energy, and be proud of myself. I'm sure that most of the weight is water weight but hey I'll take whatever. It's pretty motivating!

I wanted to share a couple of things that I have found helpful. First of all I must get the not calorie friendly food out of the house. No more, well the kids can eat that. We just need to get rid of it. I also have found that the more water I drink the better I do. For snacky/munchy purposes I have fallen in love with veggie straws and apple straws. Yum! The crunch of that potato chip without the grease, fat, and calories. Remember Bugles? We stuck them on the ends of our fingers like claws and waved them around at each other as kids? Well that's what veggie straws taste like. Good stuff! You can get them both at SAMs.

One thing I am struggling with though is how to exercise appropriately. I know I need to. I know walking/running is good for me but beyond that I don't have a clue. I have the fitness center at my disposal for free but don't know what to do while I'm there. Every time I've begun to exercise in the past I've ended up gaining weight. If any of you have any suggestions they'd be appreciated. Oh, and the thought of getting a personal trainer scares me to death so don't go there!

Well I hope to check in with you a couple of times a week to let you know my progress and how things are going. Until then. . .

Happy healthy lifestyle!

2 comments:

  1. Lesley, at the Fitness Center, you can do a one-time thing (yeah, with a trainer) who will show you a workout routine and how to use the machines, etc. OR I found a website called WorkoutBox.com that has good workouts. I did the beginner, fat burning option and have almost finished the six months I originally paid for (took longer than six months due to holidays, vacations, some laziness, etc.). It was a very reasonable price, especially since it didn't "cut off" at the six-month mark and make me pay again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing to do right now is strictly cardio. Do not do any weight/strength training at all. That is what makes you gain weight. You need to work on getting rid of the "fat" first and then you can worry about toning and shaping your body. Elliptical worked really well for me. I made myself get on the elliptical for 30 minutes at least 4 days a week and if I felt good after 30 minutes I would keep at it for another 30 minutes. It is non-impact so it won't affect your knees like walking/running will. I promise you this will work. It is how i lost my initial 35 lbs. I know you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete